New Zealand Madonna Fan Forum

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Our First Competition! Lets have your input :)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
CandyPerfumeGirl
Admin
CandyPerfumeGirl

PostSubject: Our First Competition! Lets have your input :)   Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:05 am

Hi Everyone,

I thought we should have a place to discuss our first competition and get some input from you all.

So here is the place to discuss the nitty gritty of how our competition should be carried out and to throw around our ideas.

Things to consider:

-What kind of competition?
-How will it be carried out?
-What are our prizes going to be?
-When should it commence?
-How long should we run the competition for?
-How will winner(s) be drawn?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://madonnanz.forumotion.net
CandyPerfumeGirl
Admin
CandyPerfumeGirl

PostSubject: Re: Our First Competition! Lets have your input :)   Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:08 am

Ok, so far we have suggestions for a quiz, and everybody contributes 6 questions and I choose the best ones from there. Maybe 20 questions in total?

The only thing is, we have to make sure the questions are foolproof, as I would hate for a debate to happen on a question and then we're in the shit. And we have to make sure the questions arent too easy.

Then the question is, how to we draw a winner?
I'm happy to do names in a hat, video the draw and upload it.

Other alternatives to a quiz is a task.

We set a task for members to carry out, and the community gets to vote for a winner on who did the task best.

I thought that our competition should run for 2 weeks to a month at most, to give new members time to join and participate.

Do we have criteria for entry? How do we feel about members who join up just for the prize and don't contribute to our community forum?
Back to top Go down
WhitePanda

WhitePanda

PostSubject: Re: Our First Competition! Lets have your input :)   Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:50 am

Let's break it down.

-What kind of competition?

One in which you will not be penalized for not knowing every tiny minute detail about her, or esoteric knowledge about her. Which is both irritating and lame. An example would be: In what position did Holiday chart during its first re-release in 1985 in Singapore? The answer for most of us would surely be, who cares?

-How will it be carried out?

We could do the task, that would be interesting. Write a story? Bake a big maddy cake? (That being said, I'm a rubbish cook - I even manage to burn ice-cream). You get the gist - something creative. Could be a free-for-all.

-What are our prizes going to be?

A bag of cookies. Alternatively, something Madonna-related. Meh.

-When should it commence?

When our member count reaches about 20.

-How long should we run the competition for?

Until everbody submits something who registers? (To a point that is - you don't want to be three months down the track waiting for me to carve her face out of soapstone).

-How will winner(s) be drawn?

Tough one. Someone else must have an idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://whitepandamedia.com

PostSubject: Re: Our First Competition! Lets have your input :)   Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:59 am

I suggest, if it is to be a quiz, that ALL answers are to be backed up with a PUBLISHED reference (more likely to be checked as accurate than info on the internet). I used the Taraborrelli Madonna biog as a ref, ref PAGE NUMBERS where answers can be located!! As stated, the questions should not be over the top hard, but be something only a good to pretty die hard fan would know:

eg: What did Madonna take as her confirmation name?

a) Mary
b) Virginia
c) Valerie
d) VERONICA flower

or:

Madonna once said: "Bruce Springsteen was Born To Run, I was born to...."

a) succeed
b) fu*k
c) stir
d) FLIRT flower

These are sort of Trivial Pursuit level - most long-time fans would know these answers backwards - but we don't want to make it TOO hard, not everyone will remember everything and multi-choice makes it easier - and try to make sure the questions aren't "google" friendly: (try them out first on google). Like this one:

The night before Madonna's mother died, what did she ask her for?

a) pizza
b) HAMBURGER flower
c) soy latte
d) waldorf salad

jocolor Okay, is that not too obscure, yet NOT google friendly?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Our First Competition! Lets have your input :)   Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:21 am

All prizes will be either a donation from your Madonna collection (any double-up's, for example), or a cash donation towards a pricier item like a picture disc (say $5.00). All prizes must be Madonna related.

Genie decides the winner, and a tie would come down to a tie breaker question - first correct reply wins all. (There will be reserve questions). There could also be 2nd and 3rd place getters.

Genie also decides the length of competition - it needs to run long enough to achieve it's purpose of getting the site known and interest in it. It's just easier if only one person decides this stuff - and all prize donations need to be posted to her.

I'm happy to donate something like this:

The last one cost me (including shipping) GBP20.00 NZ$54.54, so we'd need about ELEVEN $5.00 donations to cover this one. It'll cost $12.50 to post to Wellington as well!! We do need at least one "premium" item like this.

But small items would also be cool - I have a few of these great keyrings coming from England, will sell some, but will also donate one towards the competition:

Last edited by Little Nonnie on Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Our First Competition! Lets have your input :)   Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:36 pm

Ok, it's late so will make this quick:

How about a simple "guess the jellybeans" contest (and that does have significance for her).

Also, who was Jellybean, what did he produce for her, and what's the name of the song she did for him, and on which album is it?

Okay, easily googled, so also identify, correctly, each year these photos were taken in a montage like this:

Back to top Go down
WhitePanda

WhitePanda

PostSubject: Re: Our First Competition! Lets have your input :)   Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:09 pm

1992, 1993, 1992, 1991, 1993, 1992, 1994, 1989, 1991, 1984, 2000, 1995, 1990, I'm bored now. Lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Our First Competition! Lets have your input :)   Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:53 pm

You definitely have already gotten some wrong..... Basketball

It's harder than you think

Back to top Go down
WhitePanda

WhitePanda

PostSubject: Re: Our First Competition! Lets have your input :)   Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:35 am

That is a very evil photo of Madge to have after your comment. Nice choice. Razz

And I was typing that when I should have been listening to my class tutor, so if I got them wrong, I just wasn't concentrating. So there.

Cool
Back to top Go down
CandyPerfumeGirl
Admin
CandyPerfumeGirl

PostSubject: Re: Our First Competition! Lets have your input :)   Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:43 am

Hey guys, I think it might be best if we wait a bit, get a few more members going.

Whaddya reckon?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Our First Competition! Lets have your input :)   Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:45 am

Ok, but we can still sort out what sort of competition it's going to be and sort the prizes. I'm promoting this site on most of my Madonna auctions - so hopefully that'll hit our "target" market!
Back to top Go down
CandyPerfumeGirl
Admin
CandyPerfumeGirl

PostSubject: Re: Our First Competition! Lets have your input :)   Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:57 am

Yep, I added our forum link to my Maddy auctions too hehe

Hope no one narks and it gets taken off Sad Google is good picking up TM auctions and indexing it in the search engine. I'm still worried about our bots, they haven't returned since I submitted a sitemap to Google last night.
Back to top Go down
WhitePanda

WhitePanda

PostSubject: Re: Our First Competition! Lets have your input :)   Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:51 am

Quote :
I'm still worried about our bots, they haven't returned since I submitted a sitemap to Google last night.

Don't worry - if they love us, they'll come back.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Our First Competition! Lets have your input :)   Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:41 am

Maybe "they were on a break" or "on their break." Looks like the google one is back now. Wink
Back to top Go down
CandyPerfumeGirl
Admin
CandyPerfumeGirl

PostSubject: Re: Our First Competition! Lets have your input :)   Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:10 am

Hey if you do a Google search for "Madonna NZ" we are now the first on the list Smile
Hopefully searches for "Madonna New Zealand" and "Madonna Kiwi" will soon follow
suit.

Maybe if we had some nude bot pics the bots will be enticed lol

Back to top Go down
CandyPerfumeGirl
Admin
CandyPerfumeGirl

PostSubject: Re: Our First Competition! Lets have your input :)   Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:17 am

LMAO! The Yahoo bot has arrived- it worked!!!
Back to top Go down
WhitePanda

WhitePanda

PostSubject: Re: Our First Competition! Lets have your input :)   Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:29 pm

Oh nice work!!!

lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Our First Competition! Lets have your input :)   Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:35 am

Ok, here's an idea. We re-launch the competition once we've reached 50 members. (One for every Madonna year lol). Can we agree on that? That should be enough initial members. I don't think it'll take very long to get there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Our First Competition! Lets have your input :)   

Back to top Go down

Our First Competition! Lets have your input :)
Page 1 of 1